Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Facing the Giant...My Ego!

9-7-11

Now I gotta be honest with you. I have a problem with Facebook. The problem is not that I could care less about most of the stuff people post because they think it is note worthy: “Changing the fourth diaper, and it’s not even 10am yet.” “How bout those Tigers? Cocks? Razorbacks? And so on. I don’t like the way something magically notifies me when someone makes a comment on someone else’s comment and what everyone else thought about it. I don’t like invitations to Farm, Surf, Invest, Hunt, or build stuff all in a make believe world. All that stuff really bothers me. But what bothers me most is my unrelenting appetite to see what everyone thinks about... ME!

I’m not kidding one little bit. I am addicted to clicking that I-Con on my computer screen that logs me instantly into Facebook land. The first place my eyes look is to see, not who wants to be my friend, Lord knows I have invited hundreds of complete strangers into my world with Friend Request, but I look for the spot where people can post what they think about ME…or something I said…or thought…or better yet…they write something nice about something I wrote.

I think I need to back away from Facebook for a while. I don’t know how long, but I must get a grip on caring more about what my closest friends think about me, not the gozzillian that say they wanna be my friend. A counselor told me years ago, “In your lifetime you may have only 3 or 4 friends that you can share your deepest secrets with, who truly love you and care for you and will not push you away or throw you under a bus, but will pray for you.”

I gotta get away from thinking about me so much and back to thinking about other more important stuff. Bottom line is…I need to seek God’s Face and what He thinks instead of Facebook and what it thinks.

Taking a Facebook sabbatical…Wick Jackson

2 comments:

  1. I got your post card, that was so nice. You and your family are always in my prayers. I hope your trip to Peru is successful. I look forward to seeing you all soon. May God always bless you on your journey to spread his word.

    Melinda Bruner Brown

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wicker - I too love to be affirmed. I too often look to at my blogspot stats - how many view my posts etc. I often get concerned when folks don't leave comments or I get jealous when other bloggers have 30 comments and I get 0! I'm so self absorbed at times. Thanks for you post. May I choose to be satisfied in Him alone! Love ya bro!

    ReplyDelete